You are here: Home Issues and Positions
After serious consideration I am seeking the Republican nomination for United States Senator.
Incumbent Senator Mark Kirk’s voting record is out of touch with ILLINOIS values. He voted NO when he had the chance to defund Planned Parenthood and he voted NO on Kate’s Law which would have ended funding for Sanctuary Cities. Kirk is a consistent supporter of gun control with an "F" rating by the NRA. He has a history of opposing school choice, and has opposed almost every effort to significantly cut spending or balance the budget. And finally he is the only sitting Republican senator to have voted for Cap and Trade energy taxes.
I have a passion and a premise that the people of the State of Illinois should have a Senator who is looking out for them and not powerful corporations or lobbyists with their own profit in mind. I know we share many common concerns that are facing our nation today. We need to work together to bring the original purpose of our constitution and limited government back to our great nation, and return to our country's foundations of LIFE and Liberty. It is the RIGHT time to send a Senator to Washington D.C. whose first interest is the Liberty and Security of the American Citizen Taxpayer!
I will Stand and Fight to bring about the following:
Download and share the Issues versus Kirk Votes and my biography
Download and share my Key Positions
ISSUES and Key VOTES: James Marter vs. Mark Kirk
1. There was a vote in the Senate on Dec. 3rd, 2015 on a bill to repeal Obamacare which would finally be sent to the President’s desk, the only GOP Senators to vote NO were Mark Kirk (IL) and Susan Collins (ME).
Senator Kirk's "no" vote left many Illinois households with no hope, those who have either lost health insurance or had its cost rise to unaffordable levels. I will vote to end the disaster know as Obamacare ̶ or as I know it, the “Un-Affordable Care Act”.
2. Mark Kirk was the only "Republican” voting to preserve sanctuary cities -- which prevents local police from cooperating with Immigration police to capture and deport illegal criminal aliens, a direct violation of federal law.
Sanctuary cities are illegal. It is well known that drug cartel leaders in Latin American countries control at least 120,000 gang members in Chicago. It is essential our police and immigration authorities unite efforts to stave off the daily death toll from drug-dealing criminals in Chicago and all other major cities.
3. Only GOP Senators Mark Kirk (IL) and Susan Collins (ME) Voted to support Planned Parenthood -- following the Videos expose’ of its trafficking baby parts, which is a direct violation of federal law.
I will stand for the rule of law and I will defund Planned Parenthood. It is a myth that access to medical care for women at hospitals and Crisis Pregnancy Centers would diminish without taxpayer funded PP.
4. Mark Kirk was the only Republican to vote for the Senate's so-called assault weapons ban -- which would also have banned 5-10 million rifles commonly used for home self-defense, deer hunting and recreational shooting. His current NRA rating is “F”.
Kirk's vote was against those of us in Illinois, and America, who choose to exercise our 2nd Amendment right to “keep and bear arms”.
5. Kirk became the second "Republican" senator to support same-sex marriage.
The government ̶ the Congress or the Courts ̶ has no business redefining marriage. The interests of non-traditional partnerships with respect to insurance, government benefits, inheritances and such is easily accommodated by small fixes through "civil unions" legislation and standard contracts between persons.
6. Kirk sided with the Obama administration for the reauthorization of the Export-Import Bank slush fund favoring large corporations.
To assist all American business, instead of only large corporations and their lobbyists, I support across the board reductions for all corporate income taxes to about 15%, to become competitive with the tax rates of foreign countries, to combat the off-shoring of American businesses.
7. Kirk cast the only Senate Republican vote for Vivek Murthy, the least experienced Surgeon General in history -- the deciding vote.
I will stand with the Republican Party in the Senate, unlike Mark Kirk, when its takes principled stands against unqualified presidential appointments.